Sunday, July 19, 2009

Trying to be normal

I knew this would be hard I just didn't realise how hard, just looking after Eva in itself as a single parent is full on but to throw in the loss of Karen leaves me daunted with the path ahead.
As you would expect Eva picks up on me and the last two days I have not been in my usual positive frame of mind and she has reflected that.
This afternoon we went out for a walk and I have been doing a heap of me time and the evidence you can see through the included picture.
I don't know what tomorrow will bring but I do know my wife was happy to leave Eva with me because she believes in me, it is time to mourn and grieve with a smile and see the best in each and every day, living as if there is no tomorrow will ensure amongst everything I make the most of today.

4 comments:

  1. Hey David
    I cannot begin to contemplate the many emotions that you go through each and every day - but having Eva is a gift - she will light up each and every day for you. In times ahead and in moments of sadness for you, she will just have to give you that cheeky smile or, a hug as she grows, and it will brighten the day...Be strong...Ruth xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. marcus, debs, j and madsJuly 20, 2009 at 3:28 AM

    Dude,,, wot's wiff those un-swaddled ARMS .. respect the swaddle !!

    Sort the swaddle, respect the swaddle

    here for you.. anytime !

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,
    You have not met, nor know me, but I was privileged to know Karen for the time she worked with Draeger when she came back from Oz.
    Your strength, bravery and attitude to everything is absolutely amazing and inspires me each and every single day. I do not know you as a person, but having been a keen watcher on this blog, little Eva is in the best of hands. I believe, as many watchers of this I imagine feel also and as Karen did too, in you as a Dad. You are so amazing & little Eva is not only a little Angel, but an extremely lucky one. Eva supports you now in unspoken ways, with a smile & her cheeky expression and I think you will grow to rely on each other for support as time goes by and I think that you two will, in the years to come, be so close a Dad & Daughter. And that is something so special, to be cherished & nourished and that although these times now are up & down, there is an awful lot of goodness to come to you both.
    My love & hugs to you both.
    Amy (Draeger) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. dearest david and eva,

    i have been following yours,karen and evas journey-as tragic and incredibly difficult as it has been for all of you (REST IN PEACE KAREN) and have been so touched by your amazing strength and courage-really dont know how you put your thoughts and feelings across on here so beautifully-but you do. I had the unfortunate (but fortunate also) pleasure of nursing karen at the womens on those few occasions during her initial diagnosis,and on-going treatment, always had a special bond with karen (her being a pomme too).....the whole story still leaves me lost for words but just wanted to pay my respects,,take great care of yourselves,love and wishes Sam.x

    ReplyDelete